Friday, August 31, 2007

An Old Story!!

A crow sits on the judgment seat. He ruffles his feathers, clears his throat, caws. His wig sits white on his crown. His beady eyes blink at the courtroom. At the defense table, rubbing his hands, looking around, sits Man. The audience: goats, giraffes, and the rest of Noah's passengers.

The first witness, a lion, is called.
Crow caws: "And what, Lion, have you to say for the accused? What has man been to you? Had you need of him for aught?"
"On the plains, it is my prey and I and that is all. I have, these many years, eaten nothing that did not die at my claw. Man came once, to pray and fast, but he left as quick as he came. We lions went on just the same."

Next witness: the fish.
Fish: "Aye, aye that's the one: So 'ere I am mindin' my own busyness and wat! and 'ere comes this tasty bit o' worm wrigglin' and juicy. So I says to my Percy, 'hey Percy that worm looks like a tasty bite, what say you and I don't have ourselves a piece?' Next thing you know, I look up and there's Percy bein' pulled out of the drink, wrigglin' and gaspin' like a minnow with palsy. I saw Man standin' there holdin' my Percy, and Percy's still wrigglin' with wide eyes, and what does that Man do next? He fries Percy up over one of them hot things the world goes on about."

Crow: "Let the record show that Fish speaks of "fire".

Fish: "That's right judge, he fried Percy over one of them fires! No, no I 'aint got a bit 'a use for Man. All I got out of him was one less mate and a load of grief. Hang 'im I say."

It went on like this for hours. And despite the monkeys, the eagles, the platypus, the pandas, no animal found any use in man at all. The dogs had a hard time admitting it, but they didn't really need man to feed them, they just found it so exciting. They whimpered and looked ashamed in man's direction, but they had to side with the others.

As everyone was restless to go, the last witness buzzed up to the stand. Since his voice was small, and quite annoying in the ear, no one at first gave a listen. But he kept on screaming, and the crow beat the gavel. The courtroom strained their eyes to see: in the box was a little mosquito screaming: "If Man goes, what will happen to me?!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, that's cute!