Wednesday, August 22, 2007

"In Your Eyes, The Light, The Heat..."!


Knowing the power of art to mould life in its own image, many puritans have wished to abolish art altogether. If they had confined their iconoclasm to bad art, there might have been some sense in them. Boys and girls who have Dante for their pandar are more likely to make love with style, handsomely, than those whose spiritual food is drawn from the magazines and the films.

Aldous Huxley-Texts and Pretexts

Note to self: fewer movies, more Dante, and for Pete's sake, stop flipping around the radio! But, really, who am I kidding? I spent my thirteenth year listening to Tom Petty until the tape wore out. Once a rocker has started rocking, is there any way he can stop?

What would happen if a modern guy like me tried to love a woman like Dante loved Beatrice? Would my amateur poetry and promises of eternal love be more stylish and handsome than me standing outside of her window with a boom-box? They both look pretty silly compared to the real, somehow-still-together marriages I see around me.
Both the pop songs and my poetic parody of Dante miss the point: love is quiet. The sooner I know this, the sooner this blog comes to an end. (Don't worry fans. I'm a slow learner!)

4 comments:

The Wrangler said...

"She's got everything going for her. He's going for her with everything he's got."

That's the tagline for "Say Anything". What a rad movie!

Benjamin said...

"love is quiet"

At times friend, at times. Pascha is not quiet, when the bridegroom comes forth from the bridal chamber.

JB said...

I'm at Mary's wedding, so I can't say love in its totality is quiet. Although I think it's only the result of love that is "loud", and you are fundamentally correct.
It made me think of this, which also touches on your yet unblogged quarrel with being polite:

... The greatest politeness
Is free of all formality.
Perfect conduct
Is free of concern.
Perfect wisdom
Is unplanned.
Perfect love
Is without demonstrations.
Perfect sincerity offers
No guarantee.

The Wrangler said...

Ben:
Every day feels like Pascha, baby!
Every day feels so good!

I think that's how the song goes. That's how I hear it anyway.

Holy Trinity has the quietest Pascha I've seen, though I have only been to those of two other churches. Holy Trinity is probably good for me that way.

John:
You need to get blogging bro. Your comment was awesome!
A flippant question: Doesn't perfect sincerity offer God's guarantee?