Monday, September 17, 2007

The Best Books For Knowing Truth! (Excluding Revealed Books, and Non-Western Books)!

(1) Plato
Duh! Plato's books are good because you have to be super serious about them to come to a defensible position about their assertions. Kant is like that too, at least that's what they say. But the difference is that Kant hurts your head. When you're reading Plato you feel like you're drinking wine or listening to music: you find yourself nodding your head and thinking you understand. You probably do understand, but you're understanding with a part of yourself that's so deep that when you try to articulate it you end up learning more about yourself than about Plato, which aint a bad thing. To learn about Plato and not just about yourself, you have to take yourself less seriously than you do the book, and the deep insight it gives you. I guess that's another difference between Kant and Plato: it's hard not to turn into a conceited jackass reading Kant and it's hard to stay one when you're reading Plato.

(2) Homer
First book ever written! (Okay, I'm no historian, but I'm saying it's the earliest, greatest book. I may need a graph to show what I'm saying) Anyway: First book ever written and what do we find? Homer knows better than all of us sad moderns put together what it means to be a man. Evolution disproved! Devolution a sad reality! To read Homer is to be comfortably alienated from your conception of what it means to be normal.

(3) Aristotle
Allright, this is not an eclectic list, but I'm just being honest. Besides, these Men contain multitudes, so maybe I am being eclectic. Aristotle combines rigor and profundity in a way second only to Plato. Not that I'm anything close to an Aristotelian, (I wrote one crappy paper on him), but maybe I can smell some kinds of greatness a long way off. Aristotle, I salute you from afar! I don't know how he weathers the storm that is modern science, and, what's more, I don't care. But as far as the making of what appear to me to be meaningful arguments about metaphysics, philosophizing, and ethics is concerned, Aristotle is tops!

(4) Frithjof Schuon
I'm going out on a limb here with this one, but this is my honest opinion: If you want to find an author that can show you profound Truth like Plato, Aristotle, or Homer can, then this is who I would point you to. (I'm cringing as I write this). Here is why I'm probably wrong about this:
(a) I can't appreciate books by Thomas Aquinas, Augustine, Martin Luther, or any of the Fathers of the Church I have pretended to read, like I can appreciate Schuon. Given that this puts me in opposition to every other Christian who has ever lived, I can't help but wonder if I might be a little misguided on this one.
(b) What do I know about profound truth anyway?
(c) Frithjof Schuon was Swiss.
(d) None of my friends like him as much as I do, and I have good friends.
Nevertheless, IN MY CRAZY OPINION, Schuon shows modern man one indispensible aspect of reality better than the three Greeks or anyone else: Religion leads to the Truth!

No comments: