Monday, October 8, 2007

Something I Want To Understand Better!

What are we supposed to pay attention to in church?
In church I'll stare at icons for a little bit, then I'll reflect on the words of the liturgy, then I'll look at the little kids goofing off, then I'll think about what the rest of the day will be like, then I'll close my eyes and start to pray, then I'll open them and look at my watch, and so on and so on. I feel like I'm missing the point and getting few tangible results besides warm feelings. Is there a stable point in me that I can latch onto so as not to get swept away by all the activity? I suppose I could just watch myself not concentrating and this would be a form of concentration, but then I reproach myself for not paying attention to the sights, smells, sounds of the liturgy. I have heard it suggested that, since we have little control over the quality of our concentration when we pray, we should instead attend to the quality of our intentions. While we, as we are, can't will to love God, we can intend to love God. So, while in church we should try to ferret out the real reason why we're there. There are good reasons, and bad reasons, but the good reasons are always deeper. A desire to escape hell is deeper than a desire to pretend we are saints. A desire to see, smell and taste divinity is deeper than the desire to simply watch a pretty service. A desire to know the Truth is deeper than any questions we may have during the service. I need to do some experimenting to see if this is useful thinking.

3 comments:

Cha said...

"What are we supposed to pay attention to in church?"

Everything! Isn't that the most awesome part of all???

-C

Anonymous said...

Hmm, I always thought that the words were the most important and trying to find meaning in what is being said and sung. However, what I do is watch people, especially the kids.

Benjamin said...

I try to remind myself of the reality of it all. We are - despite all the haze and concentration - hearing God and supping with God. I forget this every other second. But I try to refocus myself with the thought.

But you ask good questions. I've asked them all myself.