Tuesday, January 22, 2008

A Fun Story From the Desert Fathers!

Two brothers had lived together for many years and never had a quarrel. One day, the first said:'Let's have a quarrel like men in the outside world do'. The second replied: 'But I don't know how to have a quarrel.' So the first said: 'Look I'll put down a brick between us and I'll say: "It's mine". Then you must reply: "No, it's mine." And so the quarrel will begin.' So they found a brick and put it between them and the first said: 'It's mine', and the second said: 'No it's mine'. So the first replied: 'Oh well then, if it's yours, take it'. And so they did not succeed in having a quarrel.

-From the Sayings of the Desert Fathers

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet story. Who are the desert fathers?

Benjamin said...

They married the desert mothers and had the desert children. (It is a rather dry family.)

Cha said...

:-)

The Wrangler said...

The Desert Fathers were the first monks.

kait. said...

did you just make fun of me?

The Wrangler said...

I hope you weren't offended. I just thought your way of speaking was cute.